Thursday, 7 February 2013

The Qualities of Wood - Mary Vensel White




"In the small, congested airport, Vivian didn't recognise her husband ...Somehow, she walked right by."


A woman and a man go to live in his dead Nan's house to spruce it up a bit and get rid of all the shit that people accomodate over the years that has to be saved or chucked away.

He is a writer, and she is a woman.

The first thing I have to say about this book is that it is really nicely written. It is flowing and smooth and the words feel right. Really very well penned.

The second thing I have to say about this book is that although it is really well written, it goes through the daily happenings in the house and town, and the thoughts of Vivian, without anything actually happening at all. Halfway through I thought I'd missed something because nothing was fucking happening. But I kept on because like I say, it is nicely written and easy to read.

Three chapters before the end and I was getting a bit upset that still nothing had happened. And then! The penultimate chapter! Some stuff happened in the first half! Hooray! But then the second half of the chapter was spend explaining why that stuff didn't really matter. Oh.

So yeah, this is a weird one. Nice and easy to read but just a bit average. I probably won't read anything else by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment